Recipe by Maltese Executive Chef Nicholas Cuomo, Emirates Golf Club – Dubai
1. Source best quality blue fin tuna and slice 14cm long, 2cm wide and 0.5cm thick.
2. Slice green apple from top to bottom to have 3cm slices. Cut the apple into equal - sized cubes,1.5cm x 1.5cm. Do the same for the white radish.
3. Mix the white vinegar and sugar and reduce by half over medium heat. Add the capers and allow to cool overnight with capers in liquid.
4. Take zest of orange and cut into strips. Blanche for 10seconds x 3times changing the water every time. Make sure the zest has no white rind attached.
1. Brush a 3.5cm wide stripe of squid ink onto the centre of the plate.
2. Place the apple, radish, capers into a mixing bowl. Add some salt, liquid from the capers and set aside.
3. Take a rectangular mould, 14cm long x 3cm wide and place 1/3 over squid in strip. Place the diced vegetable and level out to have a flat even surface. Place the tuna onto the diced vegetables.
4. Place olive oil caviar along the squid in strip 1/2cm apart.
5. Place Himalayan rock salt crystals evenly spaced on top of the tuna and add mini salad.
6. Place the 3 orange zest strips, pea shoots, flowers and piment d'espelette as seen on the image.
Emirates Golf Club, with the Dubai Skyline in the background., Image by Diana DeLucia